August 22, 2012

The Scene Before Marriage

Steak? This is a spaghetti and meatball joint.
Throw me some premises for the script you want me to write.
Right now, these are just "conversations"
I speak mostly this way, like at lunch,
I go on my nerve, in a car, much the same.

Gena Rowlands' fist hangs to the right of the frame,
waving it to the mother,
                             which is always a terrible idea

The side of the right is reserved for friends;
we are some of those friends, we hung out and had times.
Fought and never shared women. The moon would not be
a viable military base, he argued. There's no sense in capturing
them, ours or any other. Not Europa nor Titan or whatever.

Wilt thou, wilt wit
streamed his beard across the table laden with poppies
and glasses full of brown liquors, sung in an unusually
high-pitched voice, songs of the country, songs of the city,
songs of the fishermen who sang no sunday songs

Oh and everywhere was wet with lights
we compared poverty stories,
my father he had always told me of how he regretted selling the house
and I'm constantly applying for money elsewhere, please, here,
Mr. Sir, look at the three of us, I have no marketable skills!
What is a press release? If you have some children, well,
fork 'em over and I'll see what can be done!

Please, I'm nothing when the fun is over.
What are the plans for tonight? Console a friend
who recently ran into some bad hands, back here to my country
for some R&R, a little Q&A, some tea and buj.

No comments:

Post a Comment